A welcoming place of learning in the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve region.
The Biosphere Centre is a place of sharing and learning in and for the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve region. Attentive to the UNESCO themes of education, science and culture, the Biosphere Centre will be a physical space for convening the region to achieve our shared vision: living sustainably in a healthy ecosystem with a diversified economy and strong, vibrant and united cultures. We envision a welcoming place and a community space – where residents, visitors and researchers feel equally comfortable, and where scientists and storytellers can share their valuable knowledge and teachings. We picture a community “living room” that brings together people, place and learning.
The Biosphere Centre is a home for the delivery of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve programs and projects. Just as the Clayoquot Biosphere Trust’s governance model has brought together all of the communities in the Biosphere Reserve region since being established in 2000, the Biosphere Centre will create opportunities for convening and sharing regionally. Centrally located, the building will be a place of innovation and experimentation grounded in the traditional Nuu-chah-nulth governance model. Space will be fluid, adapting to our needs as a traditional longhouse could be adapted to the seasons and activities. The surrounding outdoor space will also be inviting while conveying and displaying CBT values and programs.
The CBT Board is committed to the Biosphere Centre as one of its three core priorities.
At the Biosphere Centre, we envision you can:
• Hold a meeting of your community group.
• Find out about programs, research and events taking place within the region.
• Work peacefully in a private office space.
• Participate in educational, scientific and cultural programs.
• Learn about our past through the cultural exhibits, archives and research library.
• Exchange knowledge with others from throughout the region and beyond.
• Build capacity through connecting with others.
Values of the Biosphere Centre:
• Community – nurturing community and community-driven.
• Diversity – recognizing and honouring the distinct groups of our region.
• Collaborative – supporting and modelling collaboration.
• Incubating – cultivating ideas and leaders.
• Regional – meeting regional needs through one central location.
• Locally-based – reflecting our unique place and history.
• Leadership – modelling best practices and providing opportunities for project-based learning.
• Asset-based – sharing strengths and capacity to move forward on regional projects.
• Respectful – recognizing the importance of following local protocols.
• Cost-effective – using resources to create greatest local impact.
• Informed – sharing knowledge from our past to create a wise future.
• Sustainable – modelling environmental, economic, cultural and social practices.
• Experiential – learning and teaching through doing.
• Non-competitive – not duplicating services provided by the private sector.
If you have ideas or suggestions about a Biosphere Centre, contact a member of CBT’s Board of Directors or CBT’s Executive Director, Rebecca Hurwitz, at 250 725-2219 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please donate to the Biosphere Centre program.