These 2008 watershed plans significantly impacted the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere zonation. Based on the recommendations of the Clayoquot Scientific Panel and the inclusion of the Nuu-chah-nulth First Nations as major participants in the planning process, completion of the watershed plans represent efforts that meet the MAB’s zonation requirements.
The watershed plan reserves, harvestable areas, and special management zones altered the actual amount of area within the core area, buffer zone, and transition zone within the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere in comparison to the spatial configuration from 2000. These land use designations result in:
- an increase in the core protected area by including the watershed reserve network;
- a shift in some of the original buffer zone to core protected area;
- a substantial addition to the buffer zone by including special management zones; and
- a decrease in the area of the transition zone.
The following table depicts areas (ha) within each terrestrial zone of the Clayoquot Sound Biosphere after allocating:
- watershed reserves to the core protected zone, and
- special management zones to the buffer zone.
Area (ha) in Nomination Document
Area (ha) in CSBR Periodic Review 2010
Watershed Planning Zones
Area (ha) in CSBR Periodic Review 2020
Special Management Zones
(* Note that there is some overlap between parks and watershed reserves.)